02 February 2014

A Pilgrimage to Ellis Island!

I spent the week around New Year's in NYC with friends. I've been there many times, but somehow, I had not yet been to Ellis Island. So, I drug two of them, somewhat unwillingly (unexcited, at the very least) and OFF WE WENT! :D


EXCITED AMEYA. ^

First off, can I say. DANG. It was frigid cold out, and the line for tickets was HOURS long. We stood out there freezing for quite a while before I was like... wait... I have the internet on my phone.....

So, I got on my phone and I bought 3 tickets. And then I walked straight to the front of the line (several minute walk you guys!!!) and grabbed my tickets from the online order windows, where there was only one person in front of me. They were talking to the person behind the window "why don't these people just buy them on the phone if they didn't order them in advance?" and I was like "that's what I just did!" and we all thought I was very smart, the end.

Anyway, so after that we just waltzed into the line. The line for the airport-like security, that is. I wasn't expecting that! And then came the impossibly cold ferry ride. Naturally my friends wanted to ride the open top level for the views, so I was sitting up there with them, wondering if the immigration hospital was still open for frostbite & pneumonia patients..

Icicle photo op on the ferry

Baggage Room



Me in the Registry Room

Research Room


The museum was quite good. We got there near the end of the day & around half the place was closed due to damage for Hurricane Sandy last year, so I'll definitely have more to see next time I go, which is exciting.


You can see the rest of my Ellis Island Photos HERE. I tried to take lots & make them as readable as possible so you can take a vicarious pilgrimage yourselves. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment